There, and Back again.

Hullo, Digest.
Hullo, Ohio.

Lynz H. here from the rolling hills of western
Pennsylvania.

I am packing up my bags for the last day of my
midwestern world tour--started bright and groovy for
the fabulous wedding of the honourable Ashley Peacock,
on a hillside in Cincinatti. my tour included various
points in toledo, cleveland, youngstown, pittsburgh
and the slightly lesser known grove city and mercer.
will end back home again, in a fine small town next to
the city of Ann Arbor. fun, fun, fun.

this international midwestern tour has proved
educational, in many respects. the thing I learned
most is that lynz harnish is a lazy bum who takes her
good life for granted. I propose I begin to appreciate
it more by microwaving popcorn and reading middle
english literature all day. that will make everything
better.

no, silliness aside, in my week of travels, I have
been blessed by the reminder that I have many good and
dear friends all over the place, many of which are
literally willing to go the extra mile in order to
have some time with me. I have learned there's more
than one place like home. you can go home again, but
don't think you can get away with leaving your dirty
plate at the table. I learned that you should only put
two pans of cookies in the oven at a time. I learned
how to hem my pants (again). I learned that I should
see the movie "incubus." I learned there are new
treasures in cincinatti every time I go there, that I
still love my best friend Peter, and that you can
learn a million things and more from people that I
take for granted.  I be a humbled, humbled kid.

so what brings the strapping young Harnish back to the
keyboard? well, aside from general boredom and
loneliness, I felt compelled to draw attention to our
new listie, p. quimbey.

has anyone besides me been a little floored by the
poem "heaven's backdoor"? it's garnered some thought,
as I appreciated the simplicity and sound of it. I was
very, very surprised when it was mentioned that the
author, gretchen josephson, has downs syndrome.
reminded me that I don't have a clue what anyone is
capable of, what anybody thinks. it was pretty
humbling.

would I know that someone with downs syndrome even
thinks about God? or heaven?

would I know that someone with downs syndrome could
write a poem, that rhymes, has meter?

it makes me wonder what everybody is capable of.

a statement of the obvious, I know.
but I always need reminded of the obvious.
sometimes I think it's the best stuff I know.

anyways, keep sending the poetry, ms. quimby.
we all need some reminders written in different ways.

out of curiousity, what kind of poetry are the fans of
otr fond of? anyone found a poem profound enough they
keep it in plain sight?

what about quotes? we've enjoyed the otr quote of the
week for several months now...what are some of yours.

for me,
right now,

nothing is worth more than this day.
  --goethe

I have a magnet of it. I keep it on my steel back
door. it really helps me more than a lot of other
obvious things I can think of--

anyways,

lynz harnish

ps: the tolkien reference in the subject heading isn't
entirely misused. I'm reading the Hobbit gradually
aloud to my husband. I'm reading Fellowship otR to
myself. very fond, thus far.