Re: O Canada and Hordinskiing Lessons

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Don Smith wrote:
> Peter wrote aboot shoddy Canadian DVDs.  Oh, dear.  I just ordered a
> bunch of DVDs from DVDsoon.com, since they were super cheap with the
> exchange rate.  Does Disney have a history of short-changing the Great
> White North?  'cos I'll be royally ticked off if there's something wrong
> with my Lilo & Stitch.

Nah, I've got a whole bunch of Disney DVDs, and I don't believe any of
them are missing anything.  But most of them *do* have that tacky yellow
circle on the front that says "Version francaise incluse", e.g.:

http://www.videomatica.bc.ca/system/getmovie.asp?id=11982
http://www.videomatica.bc.ca/system/getmovie.asp?id=7119

Once in a very, very rare while, they try to work that tacky circle into
the design of the cover art, a la the _Pearl Harbour_ DVD, where the
circle is given the same virtual texture as the rest of the box -- but I
still think the tacky circle is kinda, well, tacky:

http://www.videomatica.bc.ca/system/getmovie.asp?id=13040

What *really* irritates me is how some studios will often say the DVD's
packaging is "reversible", so you can flip it over and have French be the
primary language -- but *both* sides are bilingual, so *both* sides look
ugly -- the only difference is that English is on top on one side, and
French is on top on the other side.  What a waste of a useful idea.

> Do you know how I can find out in advance if the Canadian version will
> be different from the US version?

Um, no, actually.  The one distributor that I'm very cautious around in
these parts is Alliance-Atlantis, which handles all Miramax and New Line
Cinema films, as well as independent films like _Memento_, etc.  But I
generally don't worry too much about the others -- Paramount may irritate
me with their crowded, cramped bilingual cover art, but I don't believe
they have ever short-changed Canadians in terms of DVD features.

http://www.videomatica.bc.ca/system/getback.asp?t=d&id=13532

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell