Re: hard lennonade

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, rhys daily wrote:

> > > 'imagine' - to pretend or act as if something is real that is not.
> > > an ideal that lives in someone's thoughts.
> >
> > But note how this ideal cancels out some of the ideals that live in
> > *other* people's thoughts.
>
> i feel like is a funny thing to be arguing.
> it's *inevitable* that my ideas will cancel out yours.
> that yours will cancel out mine.

Indeed.  But the point here is that Lennon names certain specific ideas
that he wants to cancel out -- ideas that don't *need* to be cancelled out
in order to achieve the peace etc. that he says he wants.

> are you wanting some world where no one is to imagine or think, since
> that will cancel out someone else's thoughts?

Of course not.  I also don't want a world in which people like Lennon get
to decide what we can think about and what we can't think about.

> > > but rather suggestive - kind of like in a story where the lady goes
> > > 'once up n a time, there was this forest....'
> >
> > Okay, so it was a softer form of propaganda than the sort of thing we
> > hear from, say, Midnight Oil or Stryper.  But it was still propaganda.
>
> fairy tales must be propoganda too.

Some could be, I guess.  But I wouldn't say that all or even most of them
are, though.

> so there's propoganda. it's a harsh word.

Quite so.

> is otr then propoganda?

Not that I've noticed, no.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell