Re: Top 10 favorite songs (minute OtR content)

Sarah originally wrote:
> > I think what he's fantasizing about is a world where people don't kill
> > each other over ideas or religion. Not that religion is a bad thing,
> > it's just that we always find a way to make it a bad thing. (The Middle
> > East, terrorist attacks, N. Ireland, etc.)

Then Peter wrote:>If Lennon was merely saying "Why can't we all get along?",
that would be
>one thing.  But no, he takes an explicitly anti-religious stance -- which
>is, in its own way, a religious stance in and of itself.

Is imagining there's no religion the same as being against it?

> > Yeah I'm leaving out classical music, Christmas tunes, and hymns.
> > Popular music only. But it was still hard!
>
>So OTR's cover of 'In the Garden' would be ruled out, and so would Enya's
>'How Can I Keep from Singing', just because they are hymns?  Never!  :)
>
>And what about tunes like the intro to 'Also Sprach Zarathustra', which
>climbed the pop charts when _2001: A Space Odyssey_ came out?  What about
>Eric Carmen's use of Rachmaninov in his pop hit 'All By Myself'?  :)

My rules show no mercy ;) I love Enya's "How Can I Keep From Singing." But
as I said, those are the rules. MY rules, anyway :P

Sarah