Steve's (no the other Steve) top ten...

This discussion has long passed its prime, which is probably why I just noticed it.  That and the fact that I was in South Bend, IN planning my wedding.  Still, I have strong opinions and I wanted them to be heard.

My top ten is no where near complete or in order, and really only reflects me at this time.  I'm sure that if you asked me in the middle of winter what my favorite songs are that they would be drastcially different...

1. Chris Isaak- Somebody's Crying  I love almost all of Chris Isaak's music for a reason that I don't truly understand.  There is something about the Forever Blue album and this song specifically that touch my heart deeply.

2. Cowboy Junkies- Something More Besides You or Misguided Angel (tie or maybe a medley so that it is one track).  It was played at my brother's funeral, and I remember that the first thing that i did when I heard that he died was put The Trinity Session in the cd player on repeat for five hours.

3. Over the Rhine- Mary's Waltz  A song that my roommate a long time ago and I used to listen to while we studied.  It has deep spiritual harmonics of safety and hope while embracing a blissful melancholy.

4. Wynton Marsalis- Premature Autopsy  One of the coolest songs off a very cool album that i found by luck.  I was thrust into a jazz show at college radio because I had once played in a jazz/blues band...in middle school, and I went through the station's old LPs and found this album and was fascinated by this track's combination of spoken word and improvisational jazz.

5. U2- The Wanderer I know that this isn't the most clever or even best song by U2, but I really love the blend of U2 and Johnny Cash.  Two great tastes that taste great together.

6. George Gershwin- Rhapsody in Blue (Preferably the Philadelphia Pops)  The quantity of depth in this piece that was written in so short of a time is amazing.

7. Martin Sexton- Glory Bound  Ever since I heard this track on a sampler cd given to me by Eastern Front Records, I have been addicted to most of their former artists.  The label did a ton to foster talent in Boston before it closed down, not the least of which is Mr. Sexton.  Also, I had a great friend in college who was a huge fan and could do a fantastic cover of this song, Go, Pete LaGrande.

8. Marvin Gaye- Let's Get it On  nuff' said.  (Although some might say that I was being too obvious why don't I just pick track 1 of side 1 of Beethoven's Fifth)

9. Lucinda Williams- Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.  Really the whole album is great, but when I heard her play this in concert, it really appealed to me and hhas never sluffed off.

10. Joan Baez- Love Song to a Stranger  Ms. Baez has a tone to her voice that forms a lance to the soul, and I fell in love with her immediately after I got my compilation cd from BMG.  I was young and I only knew that I liked the soundtrack to Forrest Gump, so I pretty much ordered things that I liked from there. "You're mainly a mystery with violins filling in the space," seemed an extremely powerful metaphor to me and still does.

Well, I have bored you all long enough.  So thanks for listening.  I love you all.

Steve