In Lennon's Defense

Peter wrote:

>I don't find John Lennon solo all that interesting, I'm afraid
>-- occasionally he'll come up with an interesting lyric like "How
>can I move forward when I don't know which way I'm facing", but I
>really don't care for the sort of nihilistic bliss he fantasizes
>about in this one.

huh.  my crummy dictionary told me this:

nihilism:
1. A doctrine that all values are baseless and that nothing is knowable or
can be communicated.
2. Rejection of all distinctions in moral value, constituting a willingness
to refute all previous theories of morality.
3. The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions
is necessary for future improvement.
4. The doctrine of a 19th-century Russian movement that advocated
assassination and terrorism.

Welp, I guess #3 is pretty dead on towards the spirit of the song.  It seems
I've met a lot of people in this life, and most seem to advocate peace..  I
hope that if there is a God, He'll send to Hell anyone that fought in His
name.  Fighting with someone over religious beliefs is dumber than fighting
with my toddler nephew over a lukewarm pop tart that I barely enjoy.

in the next world war - in a jack-knife juggernaut - i am born again,
Bruce