RE: good morning...

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Lawlor, Barry wrote:
> ...and don't forget to ask as many people over there that you can "Who
> won the Revolutionary War?"  They like that.  I actually asked a friend
> who was British about how they taught the Revolutionary War in their
> school and she said "What war???".  I explained, and then she kind of
> explained that they have a long history so that this was just a small
> piece yada, yada, yada....we well...Americans kicked butt!!!

And then we Canadians came down and burned your White House, mwahahahaha.

If you wanna know how the Revolutionary War is taught in *these* parts, it
tends to focus on the tarring-and-feathering of those who thought that
being loyal to their government was more important than taking up arms
against it.  You Yankees are a persecuting lot, you are.

> I'm first generation Irish...sooo....

There's a fair bit of Irish in this country too -- our main prime minister
in the 1980s was a guy named Mulroney, and when I first started working at
the student newspaper at UBC, the board of directors there consisted of
people named Rowan, Roantree, Rowley, Maguire, Conley and O'Donnell, as I
recall -- but the Scots are big up here too.  Our first prime ministers
were MacDonald and Mackenzie, and our current premier in British Columbia
is a Campbell, and so on, and so on.  And between the two groups, it's no
accident that a major Canadian comedy group like Kids in the Hall would
have folks named MacDonald, McKinney, McCulloch, Thompson and Foley.