Re: Downloading debate

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 13:45, J B wrote:
> Ahhh,now this is what I love an ongoing rational discussion...LOL
> First I downloaded both Linkin & Nickelback and I'm the opposite I'll
> probably but not for sure end up buying Nickel

Want mine?

> and after a few spins I still
> don't really like Linkin.So because I downloaded it and listened a few times
> does Linkin deserve my $$$ well too bad they're not gonna get any and again
> they'll be just fine.

I guess, considering they sold about a gajillion cds last year.  IIRC,
they may have even been the highest selling of all last year, but don't
quote me on that.

Another thought I had on this debate (which doesn't really have any
legal basis, but it's a thought) is that it seems to me that many of us
on here tend to me music trend-setters, not just your normal everyday
Top40 listener.  In other words, we introduce others to new music.  The
average Joe, like my sister or countless other friends I know, simply do
not persue new music, nor do they even like listening to new songs from
people they don't know that much.  It takes someone like myself, who
plays the CD in the background while they visit, or during Youth at
church, or even as pre- or post- church songs to get these people
exposed to this.

One of my favorite examples is a band called _Fleming and John_.  I was
introduced to them by a guy named Ed Rock on r.m.c sometime in 1995, as
well as hearing them on the Steve Taylor tribute album.  I *loved* that
song, so I bought the album.  Now, I lived in the middle of northwestern
Wisconsin, so I was pretty much literally the only person who had this
album within a good 100-mile radius.  However, as a direct result of me
loaning out the CD, playing it for people, copying it off on tape for
them, etc, I would estimate that I sold at *least* 10 copies of that CD
for the band.

Over the Rhine is similar.  I've managed to make several converts to
their music in the past few years - people who without my influence
would never in a million years have heard of OTR.

Anyway, just a thought.  Hope it doesn't sound conceited, as it wasn't
meant to be.  Takes all kinds, and all that.

Troy