Re: Re: Nine Inch Nails and other sundries

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:

> On 1/25/02 12:53 AM, quoth the effervescent Gilhamilton at aol_com at
> Gilhamilton at aol_com:
>
> Also, since none of us here know Trent personally (though I think I know
> people who do), and even though I know I probably shouldn't say this
> here, saying that his talent coems from G-d "whether he acknowledges it
> or not" seems to be stepping over the bounds of someone else's personal
> theology. Praising someone's work as coming from G-d/Christ/whomever
> seems, to me, to be viewing them through a worldview they themselves may
> not espouse.

You can talk to a child, and say their talent of some sort - or even their
height - is due to the inherited talents/genetics of their parent.  The
child may still say that he/she alone is reponsible for his/her basketball
talent of above-average height...but that does not change the truth.

Changing your statements to match the ideas of another person is wrong.
Why say anything at all?  Let the other person speak for themselves, or
speak the truth as you know it.  Anything else is succumbing to the bad
side of today's politically-correct don't-offend-anyone culture.  You can
bet those same people you are protecting now would not show the same
concern when it comes to addressing Christians.  Your own use of "G-d"
shows that.

Speaking of which, what is your reason for censoring the name "God?"

> And having said THAT, I think it'd be lovely if we could avoid having
> this, too, turn into another Christian theology discussion. It's been so
> nice and inclusive lately here.

How can a discussion be inclusive?  As far as I can tell, that is mostly a
question of subject matter.  I can tell you a few threads lately did not
interest me at all, but that didn't cause me to drop off the list...I just
didn't read some of those mails.

As long as we avoid ad-hominem attacks, I would presume pretty much any
discussion is inclusive to anyone who has the interest to participate.

> One NIN note I have to add is that the video for "The Perfect Drug" makes
> me deliciously crazy: equal parts Gorey and Coppola's Dracula with a
> kickin' beat. And Trent himself is just inexcusably hot, especially in
> that glorious frock coat.

I like the /song./  I suppose I like the visual style, but I'm nto sure
the video's really saying anything.  "Happiness in Slavery"...now
/there's/ a video with a point...

-Smitty