Re: Nine Inch Nails and other sundries

Christian D Lindemer wrote:
> Testing the bounds of musical taste around
> here...who likes Nine Inch Nails?

i do, but most of his work post-Broken/Fixed
kind of sucks, IMO.  the Downward Spiral didn't
keep me interested, beyond the great ending to
"Closer" (which I think Adrian Belew had a lot
to do with).

testing more musical bounds... who here likes
the band Death?  Chuck Schuldiner died recently.
he was a mastermind, a la Trent Reznor; Death's
music far more intense, though.  Symbolic was
a masterpiece in progressive death metal.

> I undertand if a member or two don't think
> NIN fits in with a Christian view, but then
> OtR doesn't always either.  Nor does Bjork or
> many other commonly-mentioned bands.

this isn't a "christian listserv," so i don't
think you'll have too many problems posting
about such "nonchristian artists" as NiN, Bjork,
Over the Rhine.  i guess it's primarily a forum
for Over the Rhine chatter, but it barely ever
holds true to that realm.

the "christian vs. secular" dichotomy seems
really pointless and futile anyhow, on many
levels.

> I am a big fan of Trent Reznor's work.

i'm a mediocre fan of his work.  I respect him
tons, but haven't seemed willing to part with
my credit card number in order to procure any
of his recent stuff.

> He understand music and rhythm like few others.

there are a lot of people who understand music
and rhythms.  even far better than Trent Reznor,
i'd wager.  but, now i'm just playing devil's
advocate, or something...  sorry if i seems like
i'm just picking on ya... :)

> If you have never listened to it, or got turned
> off by the rather abrasive nature of The
> Downward Spiral, give the newer music another
> shot.

TDS wasn't much more abrasive than much of the
nihilism on Pretty Hate Machine or Broken.  TDS
just bored me, though.  goddamn piggies.

> Of course, this all ties in to part of my view
> of music.  Trent has said he feel there's
> something strangely musical about noise - he
> takes that noise and fashions it into a song.

music is noise.  Trent isn't reaching too far.
check out Des Incurables "Disque 9" for NOISE.
worst $.50 i ever spent.

> Anyhow, this rambles on places I didn't expect
> it to go.  let's recap:
> 1) I like Nine Inch Nails.  Do you?

yeah, sorta.

> 2) Noise (in my opinion) can be musical.

yeah, sorta.

> P.S. - Weren't all musical instruments really
> just noise-making devices in the beginning?

yeah, sorta.

toot,
Dan

np: levin/portnoy/petrucci/ruddess - liquid tension experiment ii