Re: Nine Inch Nails and other sundries

Wow.  I didn't expect to start this much list traffic ;)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Daniel J. Temmesfeld wrote:
> Christian D Lindemer wrote:
> > Testing the bounds of musical taste around
> > here...who likes Nine Inch Nails?
>
> i do, but most of his work post-Broken/Fixed
> kind of sucks, IMO.  the Downward Spiral didn't
> keep me interested, beyond the great ending to
> "Closer" (which I think Adrian Belew had a lot
> to do with).

I'm actually of the oppisite school of thought, The Fragile is, IMHO, his
best work.  Then again, I'm a sucker for huge albums a la the Smashing
Pumpkins' MCIS.

> > If you have never listened to it, or got turned
> > off by the rather abrasive nature of The
> > Downward Spiral, give the newer music another
> > shot.
>
> TDS wasn't much more abrasive than much of the
> nihilism on Pretty Hate Machine or Broken.  TDS
> just bored me, though.  goddamn piggies.

The pigs references may be a little over-done, I'll admit that much ;)

It seems to me PHM was less about hate, maybe more nihilism.  Yes.  Parts
of Broken and TDS are rather up-front about being pissed at the world
though.

I think there are multiple things that contributed to the success of TDS,
some being timing and the absolutely incredible song Closer.  You
mentioned Adrian Belew, he's one of those guitarists I really respect for
the sheer diversity of sounds he has been involved with.  Another reason
TDS is so good is the overall narrative nature of it.

-Smitty