Re: From another conversation

good evening :)

kelvin said:

> Not all "laws" in the "Law of Moses" were given for
the same purpose.
> Type 1 - moral laws.  all people, all times
> Type 2 - ritualistic laws (cleanliness, etc.)
> Type 3 - laws for national protection and
preservation

then peter said:

>This is a common argument many Christians make, now
>that we have done
>away
>with a bunch of laws (which arguably never applied to
>Gentiles anyway),
>but I wonder if anyone in ancient Israel would have
>made this
>distinction.

the israelites followed and obeyed without making the
above distinctions, but that doesn't mean that such
classifications didn't exist even then.  as for us, we
attempt to follow a variety of precepts--be they
categorized in several ways or not.  isn't it possible
to do so without "true" need of the
compartmentalization?

>And when David Letterman, who evidently has a
>positive view of faith
>and
>religion, asks how it is possible for "religious
>fervour" to lead to
>events like September 11, I am disturbed by the fact
>that I know the
>answer to his question, not just in my head, but in
>my gut.

do you mean that you understand the process of the
widespread and/or subtle ideology or that you are
horrified that it's now a deep part of who you are?
or that it always was?  or something...? :)

i'm horrified by this stuff.  but i don't always
understand my motivation.  am i horrified b/c of the
human-centered concern and preservation or am i
horrified out of a genuine spirit of love for god and
his creation--and that desire to obey the aspects of
caring for it?  is it fear or love?

-j. marie