Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #1135

Re: CDs borrowed from JG.  JG must be very generous with his CD lending.
Another sometimes-listee mentioned to me this weekend that she had some
JG CDs that she's had a very long time . . . He ought to turn over their
accounts to independent collecting agencies, like BMG.   :)

RE: Requiem for a Dream.  How much less disturbing is the edited version?
 This is what I say about that film: it's amazing, but I can't in good
conscience recommend it to anyone.  Its treatment of addictions of all
kinds and the downward spirals that addictions can cause was both heart-
and gut-wrenching.  But no one will feel good at the end of this film.
It's not just thoughtful.  It's visceral and deeply disturbing and
features several really difficult images.  I respect it.  I don't
recommend it.  Some will be vey sorry to have watched it.  Others won't
be sorry, but they won't be exactly "happy" to have watched it, either.
Stimulated emotionally and mentally, engaged with the issues, deeply
saddened, yes.

Hmm.  An anti-punk nihilism film in a punk style.  Yes.

thazall

Fred