Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #1135

Fred, ever-perceptive, wrote:

> RE: Requiem for a Dream.  How much less disturbing is the edited version?
>  This is what I say about that film: it's amazing, but I can't in good
> conscience recommend it to anyone.  Its treatment of addictions of all
> kinds and the downward spirals that addictions can cause was both heart-
> and gut-wrenching.  But no one will feel good at the end of this film.
> It's not just thoughtful.  It's visceral and deeply disturbing and
> features several really difficult images.  I respect it.  I don't
> recommend it.  Some will be vey sorry to have watched it.  Others won't
> be sorry, but they won't be exactly "happy" to have watched it, either.
> Stimulated emotionally and mentally, engaged with the issues, deeply
> saddened, yes.

And, in an odd tie-in to this thread, me lovely husband and myself went to see
Kronos Quartet this past weekend.  One of the pieces they played was a suite of
music that they originally performed for this film.  After hearing their
performance...well, the music was creepy and disturbing enough that I don't
know if I'll dig up the film.

Onwards,
Raven