Cabasa , Cabaca, Let's call the whole thing off

However it's a spanish word: cabasa -- with an S.

"This ingenious instrument is constructed using endless loops of steel bead
chain wrapped around a specially textured stainless steel cylinder. Wooden
flanges enclose the cylinder and a wooden handle is attached to the bottom."

Although it was invented "nearly thirty years ago" by one Martin Cohen for
Latin Percussion, the virtual monopoly dealing in... uh.. latin percussion:

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Afuche_Cabasa/lp_afuche_cabasa.html