Live

Lovely Liesel, the (inadvertantly) lascivious Lolita, quoted her favorite
(?) band LIVE:

>'what you doing in this darkness baby, when you know
>it'll never make you free?'
>&
>'million mile fall from grace,
>thank god we missed the ground'

And added:

>what lyrics! what music!  almost makes me wish i was a
>man so i could sing it right...
>
>almost.

I am loathe to pick on anyone's favorite band, so let me start with the
good.  The quotes above are indeed cool, and Live have a great sound.  I saw
them open for Counting Crows once, and I sang along with the whole crowd to
"Lightening Crashes".  That's a song I really do love.

Also, I once owned "Throwing Copper" as the sound appealed to me a great
deal.  "Selling the Drama" won me over the instant I heard it.  However,
shortly after I bought it, I found myself selling it.

Why?  Here's where I get picky.  The philosophy being espoused didn't agree
with me on a fundamental level.  Yes, spirituality was being promoted, but
in a manner I found to be disconcerting.  I perceived a less than subtle
attempt to defame Christianity going on in the lyrics.  Essentially,
"Selling the Drama" sounded great, but, upon inspecting the lyrics, I
realized that I was being told I'm a "burnt, scarred, rape victim" by virtue
of being christian.

Isn't that song about where Fishes go a veiled shot at Christians?? (asking)

I can't support any band who promotes their personal religious ideology at
the expense of others.  Period.  Let alone a band that mixes spirituality
and sexuality so liberally, which I think is just plain dangerous folly.

I'm not close-minded, just open eyed.  Which is why I'm not trying to tell
anyone who or what they should listen to.  My intent is strictly to be
cautionary...

know your product,

Matt