Re: Lurking Long Enough...

While I understand that it is somewhat frustrating to receive a lot of
non-OTR content from time to time b/c of being subscribed to this list,
I think that in this case you are way out of line for your request, and
your characterization of our discussions.
True, this list is for discussing OTR. But, as you may or may not know,
this list has existed for years, and many of the people who post, have
been writing to each other, and reading each other for years now. What
do you expect will happen when something as important and sad as last
week's attacks occurs? We wopuld be something less than human if we did
not air our opinions and ideas to those whose thoughts we respect and
whose opinions we value. Everyone has been spouting their opinions about
this, from Dan Rather to George Bush. This list list is not singulalry
guilty of that. The whole nation is facing a terrible unknown both in
the face of Stateside terrorism and in Bush's "new war" that he is
plunging us into. Discussion, dissent and the marketplace of ideas are
more American than most anything else. Shame on you for trying to stilfe
necessary and to many, important conversations.

The jokes about WWJD have nothing to do with Jesus, and everything to do
with those of who take his name in vain and blashpheme by  selling thier
narrow veiwpoints as a replacement for his teachings and life. The more
we make fun of the commodification of Christinaity, the better.

I too, have noticed no flaming. People have gotten a bit uptight here
and there, but come on, the issue being discussed is dire, emotional,
important. I rather think that, given the content of the discussion,
it's gone fairly well.

Deleting isn't hard. It doens't require that much effort, and you're
provided with a nice subject header so that you don't even need to open
the email. I myself delete plenty of threads that don't interest me. I
highly reccommend it over your less gracious approach.

John

--

"History goes blind and in darkness;
neither ses nor is seen, nor is
known except as a carrion
marked by unintelligible wounds:
dragging its dead body, living,
yet to be born, it moves heavily
to its glories. It tramples
the little towns, forgets their names."

-Wendell Berry, "The Design of the House: Ideal and Hard Time"