re: Cornerstone dismay

> > No argument there, but the mix of the two prevents me from making
> > flat-out statements like "I'm scum."  I'm a child of God, and while I
> > know I'm deficient in all sorts of areas, I'm not merely scummish.
>
> any body here like Steve Taylor?  Heard his song 'Jesus is for Losers'?

Yup, and yup.  Though I might quibble with the line "we both know what we
deserve".  If the implication is that everyone deserves to be crucified,
and that Jesus took that punishment away from us -- which may not be
spelled out in the song, but the ideas are common among evangelicals --
then I would disagree with that, both because I do not think everyone
deserves equal punishment, and because the fact remains that many, many
other people have been crucified throughout history, before and after
Jesus.  I don't think we "deserve" punishment any more than we "deserve"
to be allowed into heaven; it's all at God's discretion, in the end.

> I feel for Holly.  Not that she's asking anybody to.  It is a struggle.
> In general, being a lesbian or an alcoholic or an over-eater, liar,
> drug-addict, sinner, etc., and struggling with the idea of Christianity,
> the idea that God loves us, and He wants us...He really does!

But the fact that you throw lesbianism into a list of disorders, despite
the fact that it has not been proven to be a disorder, is a problem.

> I've been to some good C-stone lectures, and some not-so-good ones.  As
> for the people we don't agree with, well, God loves them, too.  It's the
> loving each other we generally have a problem with.  Ok, I'll hush now.

Loving each other would be a lot easier if we listened to each other, and
the problem with the Cornerstone seminars on evolution, homosexuality,
etc. is that the organizers aren't listening to fellow Christians who
disagree with them -- and by censoring those other points of view, they
prevent *others* from listening, and thus from loving in a full and
complete sort of way.