re: Cornerstone dismay

 Then Peter wrote:

> FWIW, I think Christians tend to overplay this
> notion that we're all scum,
> or that we're all wretched, deplorable, horrible
> little things.  At our
> core, the fact remains, we're made in God's image.
> And no matter how
> twisted that image has become in some of us, it's
> still there.

Then J. Marie wrote:
true, but is image "essence?"  image is one thing, but
being changed by god is another.  i'm with the utter
depravity people on this one :) even if i do believe
god redeems me.  there is the original creation and
there is its pesky addition called original sin.

plus, we gotta look at this notion of "who we are."
the christian, once they accept christ,
surrenders/sacrifices his/her identity in exchange for
christ's.  i think this implies a value judgment.

Then Peter wrote:
No argument there, but the mix of the two prevents me from making flat-out
statements like "I'm scum."  I'm a child of God, and while I know I'm
deficient in all sorts of areas, I'm not merely scummish.

Now I'm writin'!
any body here like Steve Taylor?  Heard his song 'Jesus is for Losers'?
Yes, we're redeemed.  Yes, we're scum/losers.  The point of the song is that we've all sinned, we all suck (compared to Jesus).  When we start thinking, "Hey, I'm better than (enter name/stereotype here)", we're apparently looking in the wrong direction.  It's humbling to look in the direction of Him.  (which is where Christians should be looking).  And, yes, it's humbling to think of yourself as a loser. Of course, there's a difference between being humble, and letting people take advantage of you.
I feel for Holly.  Not that she's asking anybody to.  It is a struggle.  In general, being a lesbian or an alcoholic or an over-eater, liar, drug-addict, sinner, etc., and struggling with the idea of Christianity, the idea that God loves us, and He wants us...He really does!  Regardless of what anybody else says.  I don't care who they are.  I've been to some good C-stone lectures, and some not-so-good ones.  As for the people we don't agree with, well, God loves them, too.  It's the loving each other we generally have a problem with.  Ok, I'll hush now.

Heather