Depeche Mode (was: Re: Re: Re: Carman)

On 7/18/01 3:55 PM, quoth the brilliant mmdonegan at yahoo_com at
mmdonegan at yahoo_com:

>> Besides, I've been on a Depeche Mode frenzy the last
>> few weeks (since the DM show on 6/30), and am
>> currently lusting after Dave Gahan.
>
>Hey, me too!  (well, except that I saw them 7/5)  and
>it WAS a great show (though I could have done without
>the crotch-grabbing at the end.)
>
>They played "Enjoy the Silence" - the song I think of
>first for them.  They did NOT play "Shine" :( - my
>favorite track from the new album.  Oh well, it was
>still a great show.  :)
>
>Michelle

Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed the crotch-grabbing. I mean, hey, just because
_I_ couldn't do it for him....

Funny thing is, though, I didn't actually see him do it at the show. I
went to a local used CD store, and they had a video boot of the show. I
freaked and plunked down my $20 for the evil thing at once. Oh, the
things I missed. F'r instance, I missed almost ALL of the text that
played during "It's No Good," to my dismay. But on the tape, I can at
least read one, in which Dave is staring at the diner waitress and musing
about tensions between the US and China, wondering if it bothers China
that thought they have more people, Americans are taller.

The one that got me, though, was "In Your Room," which I know I knew
since I'm fairly sure I saw them on the World Violation tour (I have a
programme, but I don't remember the show; if I didn't go, it would have
been 15 years between the Black Celebration show I saw in 1986 [MASSIVE
wootness!] and this one). The whole video of the shark and the goldfish
just floored me. When I got home, I set the tape to that song and watched
it over. Downhill from there-- I've been listening to it obsessively for
days now. I even forced Mr. Emery to listen to it, too. There's just
something so...overpoweringly emotional and downright sexual about it.
But then, maybe that's just cos I like boys who express pain so
beautifully.

Woot!

Ysoie, who now must go make some substantial changes to the male
protagonist in her current novel.