Re: Cornerstone dismay

> > Personally, I've never found it difficult to
> accept the idea that I'm
> > scum. I know myself all too well.

> FWIW, I think Christians tend to overplay this
> notion that we're all scum,
> or that we're all wretched, deplorable, horrible
> little things.  At our
> core, the fact remains, we're made in God's image.
> And no matter how
> twisted that image has become in some of us, it's
> still there.

true, but is image "essence?"  image is one thing, but
being changed by god is another.  i'm with the utter
depravity people on this one :) even if i do believe
god redeems me.  there is the original creation and
there is its pesky addition called original sin.

plus, we gotta look at this notion of "who we are."
the christian, once they accept christ,
surrenders/sacrifices his/her identity in exchange for
christ's.  i think this implies a value judgment.

let's also go back to all things relativized to christ
and to him alone.  we are (when separated from him)
scum comparatively.  yeah, you do hate your familial
relations compared to the way you love him.  that
doesn't mean you "hate" (in a general understanding of
the word in its current practice) them.

when we cease to relativize it all to him, we
absolutize other things and pretty much
demonize/idolize them.  it's a dangerous thing: when
i'm not scum in light of who _he_ is, we have a major
problem.  who exactly are we worshipping?  who's the
standard _really_?

take care!,
j. marie