Re: Cornerstone dismay

> i'm with the utter depravity people on this one :) even if i do believe
> god redeems me.  there is the original creation and there is its pesky
> addition called original sin.

No argument there, but the mix of the two prevents me from making flat-out
statements like "I'm scum."  I'm a child of God, and while I know I'm
deficient in all sorts of areas, I'm not merely scummish.

> plus, we gotta look at this notion of "who we are."  the christian, once
> they accept christ, surrenders/sacrifices his/her identity in exchange
> for christ's.  i think this implies a value judgment.

Um, I thought the point was to find one's *true* identity in Christ, not
to merely give up one's identity, as though one would go without one.

> let's also go back to all things relativized to christ and to him alone.
> we are (when separated from him) scum comparatively.

I could live with that, I guess.  But Christ too was human, was baptized
for the remission of sins (for the corporate sins of humanity and his
fellow Jews, if not for any individual sins of his own), and became sin
when he was crucified, etc.  Make of all that what you will.