Re: F***

> > Not that I care one way or the other. I'd love 'em and listen to 'em
> > no matter /what/ they believed. I just think it's kinda odd how they
> > buck the label of "Christian band" while actively doing things which
> > encourage that notion.
>
> Perhaps because of the other negative connotations that go along with an
> Xian band -- most notably "They suck," as well as the stigma of
> proselytizing.

Lots of bands, and more than a few entire genres, "suck", depending on who
you talk to.  And lots of bands and artists shill for religious groups and
political causes that strike their fancy.  The distinctive feature of the
"Christian music" genre -- the thing that makes it "suck" -- is that the
bands tend to be shamelessly derivative of whatever musical styles happen
to be popular at the moment, just so they can do their proselytizing.
Unlike, say, Sinead O'Connor or Mike Scott or Ben Harper or U2, who follow
the artistic muse wherever it leads them, even as they promote spiritual
or political agendas, you always get the feeling that "Christian artists"
like Carman and dc Talk have stolen the latest, hottest trends to push
their message on people.  That's not art, that's advertising.

> OTR fits more into the label of people who are in a band that also
> believe in Christ, and as such their lyrics and lifestyle actively
> reflect that belief.

Works for me.  But "Christian" *is* the adjective that gets applied to
such beliefs and the things that reflect them, like it or not.