Re: Chasing Kevin (was Re: Criterion (was Re: bruce))

> > Remember the line in _Chasing Amy_ about _Degrassi Junior High_ and
> > Canadian melodrama?  Apparently Smith was a huge fan of that show when
> > he went to film school here, and I think _Chasing Amy_ sure *feels*
> > like a typical episode of that show.  :)
>
> haven't seen the show, but sounds like you weren't being overly kind
> (now where would i get that kind of idea ;-) ).

Well, _Degrassi Junior High_ was one of those deliberately socially
conscious Canadian TV shows where, for example, in the graduation-themed
finale, three or four kids leave a grad party to go buy some more beer,
and of *course* they get into an accident ... and of *course* the one
sober person in the car is the person who gets so badly wounded that she
gets paralyzed or loses her eyesight or something ... and of *course* the
driver, who is not so badly injured, says to his friend, "It's not *my*
fault the people in the other car forgot to wear their seat belts!"

But apart from that, hey, I like a bit of melodrama.  :)  And I'd say
_Chasing Amy_ ended on a poignant note that was *very* _Degrassi_.

>          BANKY
>      I’ve got a weird thing for girls who say ‘aboot’.

I don't think I've ever met a Canadian who talks that way.  But then, I
don't live in Ontario, the province that likes to think it *is* Canada.

> and how did we get from OTR to kevin smith?

Sheer good luck, I guess.  :)