more fun (sort of) with names

eric, what a great record you are playing!this name
thing is interesting if i say so myself.
you do a quick search of music group names on the net,
and out of hundreds of musicians interested in having
monk in their name because it's funky, ancient, vibey,
jazzy (or in a few instances because they were born
with it), only one group had the audacity to actually
use the name alone in the manner which traditionally
references the legendary musician. which brings us
back to my point. most musicians wouldn't go there.

Monk
3 Day Monks
Blac Monks
Bruther Monk
Buddha Monk
Clark Terry w/ Thelonious Monk
Derrick Monk
Desert Monks
Faux Monks
fighting monks
Fondue Monks
Funky Monks
Guyme Monks
Industrial Monk
Karling Abbeygate & The Monks Of Love
Lomax Monk
MEREDITH MONK
Monk & Canatella
Monk Hazel
Monk Rowe
Monk Wilson
Monk With Gun
Monks
Mount Athos Monks
Parker Monk
Sex Monks
T.S. Monk
The Blue Monks
The Elite Monk Society
The Monks
The Monks of Doom
The Monks of Notre Dame
The Sonic Monks
The Spitfire Monks
Thelonious Monk
Thelonious Monk, Jr.

if an unkown actor in hollywood started referring to
himself as bogie, it would be just as embarrassing.
(for the unkown actor.) humphrey bogart wouldn't give
a shit.
ysobelle, i'm not trying to make it a racial thing,
but when you learn the history of how powerful white
people humiliated so many black musicians over and
over again, it goes without saying that in the year
2001, we all, and artistic people especially, try to
show respect for the accomplishments of minorities in
this country, especially considering how the cards
were (and sometimes still are) stacked against them
from the get go.
i know it's maybe not a huge deal and i just mentioned
it in passing initially, but i don't think it's cool.
i still argue the name is taken, the jersey number
respectfully retired.
my initial point was what i saw at a monk show seemed
a bit self-indulgent and not all that interesting. and
yes, very white.
i'm starting to feel guilty for using all this over
the rhine space for this. should we take the
discussion elsewhere?

np