Re: more fun (sort of) with names

Tina -
	I believe that it is best put as this in this regard.  People have
different cultural scattergraphs - each person reacts to a
stimulus in a different way.  For many, 'monk' has a catholic or
contemplative aspect to it.  To you, monk harkens to that great jazz
player and a hell of a guy, Thelonius Monk.  BUT...the cultural niche to
which Mr Monk has carved himself in life and death is not really large
enough to properly 'hold' that jersey number.  Even amidst serious
musicians, there are thousands who have never heard his work.  If Ric had
named his band 'Thelonius', there really is nothing else in that cultural
space besides Thelonius Monk, and I believe your relative outrage would
certainly be with a great deal of merit.  But capturing a word in regard
to music that has such a rich cultural history outside of Thelonius...it
doesn't quite mesh.

	Tina, there is _so_ much history behind that word, that little
monosyllabic utterance, that holding it in honor of Mr Monk simply does
not work.  I've been a fan of music for decades that crosses just about
every boundary of taste, quality, and type, and your admonishment in
regard to Thelonius was honestly the first time I had thought of it.

It comes down to where the roots of your experience with a word springs
from.  You are right that your perception of that word does not mesh well
with Ric Hordinski's band.  At the same time, I am also right that naming
it Monk gave me the proper perspective on what Ric's music might be like
when I first listened to it.

I am not telling you that you should not be offended, but please do
realize that others make a very valid point in defending their own
viewpoint as well as Ric's in this case.

np:  the gumbo variations, Hot Rats, Frank Zapp -
No, wait, it turned to:
np:  I didn't build it for Me, Daniel Amos C2k Live, Daniel Amos

-Drew J

By the bye, Tina.  Complaint about this is a good and fine thing.  But if
you find it as honestly offensive as you seem to in your posts, why are
you telling us?  If it bothers you, speak  or write to Ric
himself.  Address your concern.  It'll be a lot more useful than telling
your grievances to a bunch of OtR/Monk fans, who are pretty helpless to do
anything about it, one way or another.

O Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, Midrealm   )
O ^ ^            Disclosing secrets heaven knows since 1992                X
O(_]_) splat.melm.org - just useful bees and the honeycomb - Read goats.com|