Thelonious Monk Was A Big, Fat Weenie

First of all, big thanks to Yz for the line above which cracked me to
hysterics on and off for a good half hour.  And anyway, is Over the Rhine a
jazz band?  ;)  why are we even talking about this?

Seriously, I would never in a million years think we would have this
discussion.  For what it's worth (nothing, I guarantee), I agree with Don
and give props to Eric for checking UBL, brilliant move.

As perplexed as I was at Tom's inability to comprehend the brilliance of
Ric's music, I guess I should concede a little defeat there.  The typical
Monk audience probably has one tenth the audience of an OtR show, so Don and
I are definitely in the minority.  Maybe it's marketing.  Maybe it is those
long solos and extended jams that seem to alienate a good portion of the
audience.  For me, the combination of his subdued, sublime CDs juxtaposed
with the rollickin' good time of the live show is a pretty good package.
It's definitely not Over the Rhine.

I fell in love w/ OtR for similar reasons:  the way parts of the Patience CD
sat with me for days after I hadn't had it on the player, mixed with the
grand energy and new life breathed into every song in the many live shows
I'd seen with them then.

Then something happened - they grew up as people and as musicians.  Some
fans dug it more, some less.  Some only liked the new stuff.  I was
fortunate enough (or middle of the road enough) to dig all of it.

(and if you should ever leave, then I would love you for what you need)

On an unrelated note, I like Duran Duran, Britney Spears, Billie Holiday,
Johnny Cash, Shriekback, Mike Jackson, Robyn, James Brown, BT, Beatles,
Michael Penn, Madonna...  Music opinions and critics are always welcome with
me, but it's still just an opinion.  I don't mind people listening to
Vigilantes of Love, even though in my heart I know it's crap.  haha, just
kidding!  kinda.

Bruce