Re: feeling cranky

Oh, shit, you're right, monkeys do have opposable thumbs.  Dumb Fred.
Finish coffee, then write.  Never predict an Emery reaction.

Some days, you wish for grace.  Some days you get it.

Forget the monkeys.  Think about cats or something.  Be generous enought
to try to understand the point I wanted to make.  Once in a while, I
express myself poorly.

I said the human soul _at its best_, not the human soul at its worst.  I
said that very carefully, coffee or no coffee.

If you don't believe that the human soul has nothing good to offer, how,
I have to ask, did you end up on the Over the Rhine list.  B/c if OtR
doesn't make beauty, then what's the point?

Why do we apply the category of evil only to humans.  If a wolf steals a
baby out of a crib and eats its brain, why is that something other than
evil?

A monkey will not paint if the monkey is not given the notion by humans.
I really wanted to get at the topic of creativity and creative acts in
humans, and the WHY of that, since that seems pretty appropriate to the
list.

And suicide, as humor, as insult, as threat, as goal, as solution, as
"not humor at all" does not fit the list.  Or maybe it does.  If I decide
that, I'm leaving.

I'm still cranky.  Clearly.

I think I've overreacted to a couple of things.

I apologize.

But I'm not up to list goblin antics today.  Maybe tomorrow.  Today, I
want to know what people believe, not what they feel they can be glibly
dismissive about.

Of course, there's no reason the list should bend to my mood, so if y'all
want to flame each other, or me, all day, go right ahead.  But it's a
pretty dismal thing to find in my mailbox.

I feel like I'm whining.

I apologize.

Cemery said: "Anything is funny if you look at it in the right way."
Which I believe, sort of.  But it's not hard to make a list of things
that are really hard to make funny.  I choose rape as an example.  Not
funny.  Not remotely.  And it's not hard to see that sometimes we use
humor to help us cope with tragic, and that's okay and good.

I used a variation on this a while ago, and it's still applicable in this
environment: If I go bend in half all of your OtR CDs (along with The
Lamb Lies Down on Broadway), because I think your reaction will be funny,
that's bad funny.  I think you'll agree.

But I think we need a lot of sense of humor to be healthy in the world.
A lot of ability to laugh in the midst of tragedy.

But that's different from laughing at tragedy.

I think Kyle is funny.  Very.

Sometimes too funny, but mostly funny.

That was another country,

Fred