Re: ya know what gets me....

-- BEGIN included message

<<  remember the ms. osborne song i was thinking about
 > earlier?    when it was a radio song,  it was fine,  but when ppl saw
 the
 > nose ring on the empty-vee  some turned on her,  and said she wasn't a
 > proper religious girl.   (or whatever the fundamentalists say about ppl
 who
 > don't measure up to their standard of christianity,  and that's how pj
 was
 > coming off) >>

(Starting to laugh as I think about the song "What if God Was One of Us?"  )
Any Christian who thought that Joan Osborne was trying to make a statement of
distinct religious faith with that song was confused . . . nothing to do with
the nose ring.  I found it thought provoking and controversial, but I had
friends that found it blasphemous.  Now it is true that Young Life has used
it as a conversation starter, but that does not make it a Christian
statement.  Listen to the song again . . . hear the despair of her soul . . .
cry a little . . . and if you are a Christian especially, think about what
you could do to ease the despair of such a soul.  Nobody on the list (i hope)
would argue that using religious allusion alone ever makes any song or any
statement Christian.  So lets not be too extreme in our efforts to insult
poor jane.

Debbie

-- END included message