Re: ya know what gets me....

<< .As far as otr and christianity goes. I think that they inspire me in a
 way that no other alleged "christian" band ever has.  When I listen to
 Otr, I'm amazed at their talent and the way it's blossomed over the last
 10 years.  Frankly, that moves me in ways nothing else can.  >>

Happy, happy, happy that I get to respond to one of your mails.  That is
exactly the thing.  I've been in church and Christian school all my life so I
have heard a lot of contemporary Christian music.  I even went through a
stage of "I will not listen to anything but Christian music" (I know, I know
. . . what the heck does that mean?  I knew at the time but I dont now).  And
I got SO TIRED of hearing bands compelled to, as my mother puts it "pack the
four spiritual laws into every song they write."
Not that music with overtly Christian lyrics is not valid, but some (not all
but some) bands are like a perpetual chorus of "Im inright outright upright
downright happy all the time."  This I do not consider honest expression,
because nobody is.  And there are certainly bands who combine honest
expression with overtly Christian lyrics . . .Jars of Clay as an example . .
. bravo.  But that is not all there is to Christian art.

Debbie