moth

hi guys-

moth.  what a great song.  jeni, i really appreciate the annie dillard
citation b/c she's very new to me.  mil gracias.

mark said:

>I don't think I stressed that I saw it too much as a religious song
>either.  I mean, I am a Christian, and everything I see, I see through
>that standard, but I honestly don't see it as being integral to that
>point in this song.

>What I do see, however is a religious metaphor that reaches infinitely
>to a secular world.  I mean, we all know someone, or have been that
>someone, who delves deep into something for all the wrong reasons. We
>can all relate to the grip of unhealthy habits (personal sin) or the
>failing of personal relationships.  I'm tingeing on glittering
>generalities here, I know, but I'm trying to broadly address the issues
>I see in the song--some of which, I've only seen thanks to others'
>points of view.

i would think that the non-religious would see it more abruptly than we do,
at least at our initial approach.  i still think the christianity is
integral though b/c christians have two frames of reference-- we have the
opportunity to see both sides of the coin.  we know what it's like to hear
all the crap and to depreciate/criticize (and i remember what it's like to
"be" :)  ) the same thing i think karin criticizes, but we also give our
lives to what we believe the real stuff is.  i think most people, christians
or not, would say they want reality and they want love.  we're in search of
the very same things and like one beggar leading another beggar to bread, we
share our experiences.  the stuff we endeavor to live and share is utter
freedom, truth and peace.  all that, in my humble opinion, assures a careful
eye towards bull and a willingness/desire to expose it.  here's my
disclaimer: anyone can be deceived :)  i mean, like i said, i remember what
it's like to be full of crap.  and hopefully i'm not now--i'm sure you'll
let me know what you think :)

what i got from the song was a mixture of what mark and jeni said.  part of
the criticism to the self-imposed martydom is the "moth's" concept of
christ, i would think.  have you ever listened to ginni owens?  she has a
great song, "without condition" that echos some of the ideas tossed here.
she's good stuff.

well, have a good day :)-
marie