Over-The-Rhine Digest V2 #899 -Reply

I've enjoyed the stories everyone has posted about "finding" over-the-rhine. If I may, I'd like to tell my story.
It was the summer of '95 and I had moved to Dayton two days after graduation  to start working at a Steel Mill (AK) in Middletown. I took the job because it paid good, it was in my field, and well.. it paid good. The problem was my family, and virtually all my friends are/were from Cleveland and Youngstown, some 4 hours away. I worked on a blast furnace as an engineer, rotating shifts, about 70 hours a week. Because of my odd working hours, and the amount that I worked, it was difficult making friends or maintaining any sort of social life. Basically, I was very lonely. To compound moving away from my roots, and working in this terrifyingly harsh (yet beautiful) place, I had just lost my girlfriend of five years. It was a tough summer. One Sunday afternoon I was at work reading the paper while eating dinner. I saw in the Dayton Daily News that OTR was playing at Canal Street. In college I played in a band pretty extensively all over the Midwest and especially in The Cleveland-Youngstown-Pittsburgh corridor. The name, over-the-rhine, rang a bell in me. I remembered that we had played with them a few years previous at a bar in Youngstown. Unfortunately, as it was with most of those times, I can't remember much for all the partying. Anyway, I decided to go down and check them out. After finding Canal Street, with some difficulty, I entered into the bar to silence and candlelight. At first I felt like an intruder, but that feeling soon left me as I became completely enchanted by the music, the atmosphere, and most especially Karin. Toward the end of the show they played "il est dans mon pache", and I soon asked the guy near the door selling cd's what album that song was on. He handed me Patience, and that will always be my favorite. I was hooked, and still am today. I can't describe what their music did for me that night, but you probably know. It helped me breathe again, to dream, to feel, and to believe in something once more. It sometimes is easy to lose sight of yourself when working in a factory. Eventually I ma
remain. I would rank their cd's in this order: Patience, Besides, ASR, GDBD,TWHF, EVE, DNOTY. Thanks for listening. It was great to hear the excellent reviews of the Taft show. Merry Christmas to over-the-rhine, and all of you on the list.
JAB