better late than never, i suppose.

What an amazing weekend.  you people, all of you, are perfect snowflakes
in the year's darkest night.

Sorry that we were late to dinner at Martino's.  For some reason, it
failed to occur to me that traipsing about camp right after a day filled
with rain would be a very muddy experience.  Somehow, walking into
that restaurant Saturday evening was like coming home from a long,
strange journey.  Ysoie, how could you doubt that I would be there?
Do you think I would miss even the slimmest of chances to bask in my
sister's company (even if she was a bit under the weather)?

Did the caravan of vehicles driving down to the Taft remind anyone else
of the movie "Swingers"?

Bink, I enjoyed talking with you before the show, and between acts, but
if you blindside me with that "oops" one more time I will not be
responsible for what happens.  That kilt was fantastic, by the way, even
if it isn't quiiiite perfect yet.

Here's the part where I 'steal' Broocey's set list (thanks for posting
that, dear!):

> Taft Set:
>
> GO DOWN EZ
> ALL I NEED
> POUGHKEEPSIE

At this point, I though we were in for a long night.  (What I really thought
was "I thought this was the /Christmas/ show.  I thought they did something
/special/ for this show.  This is nice and all, but it's what I've heard
all year.  Argh.")

Then... oh my.

> CAST ME AWAY (INTRO)

Except that it wasn't really an intro.  In fact, it was a short but
very moving and beautiful entire song. Not only was this the first time
I've heard this song performed, but I've never heard the "whole song"
version.  Is the "verse" new?

> AND CAN IT BE

i hope i've been yours, right from the start...

Honestly, I never thought I'd hear them play this song live.  Did anyone
else notice Terri dancing and smiling through this entire song?  For
that matter, did anyone notice how happy Terri seemed throughout the
show?  I found myself watching Terri more often as the show progressed
because her expressions and her dancing were such a beautiful thing to see.
I truly enjoyed her violin solo on this song, especially the part where
she and Jack were facing each other, grinning from ear to ear and playing
for all they were worth.  It was too bad that Terri's violin was so low
in the mix; it was hard to hear over the guitar.

> ORPHAN GIRL

Somehow, I never get tired of hearing the harmonies in this song. Yow.

> SILENT NIGHT

Terri added a lot of magic to this one.  My words cannot describe the
beauty of this song, so I'll just say that it made me cry and be done
with it.

> LITTLE GIRL BLUE

I really liked this one--an old standard with "Good King Wenceslas" (no,
I can't spell) as accompaniment on the piano.  Playful, yet somehow sad and
very creative (and I imagine somewhat difficult to perform!).

> IT CAM UP A MIDNIGHT
> MARY'S WALTZ
> JACKSIE

I was happy to hear them play this song again (twice in one year! wow!),
but it felt...oh, I don't know...as though it was missing a ghost or two.
Remember when they played "Jacksie" at Moonlight Gardens?  That's how I'll
always remember her.

> FAITHFULLY DANGEROUS

Was that a wah pedal hooked up to Linford's piano?  Whatever it was, it
was amazing fun.

> CIRCLE OF QUIET
> LATTER DAYS

/Again?!?!?!/  (Drew, was that an honest to goodness groan I heard from
two rows behind me?)  Don't get me wrong, I love this song, but how many
times do we have to hear the exact same version performed?

Somewhere in there, but apparently not on the setlist, was the oft-
aforementioned "Leo's Valentine".  I couldn't decide if Leo was playing
the "dad-turned-hepcat" role on purpose, or if that's just how he is.
Either way, it was fantastically amusing.  Karin and Terri were clustered
around Terri's microphone like giggly schoolgirls, and seemed to be
timing their background vocal swoops for maximum flustration of Mr. Kottke.
Every time they'd cut in, Leo looked at them over his half-glasses like
they'd just shouted in a library, and they both dissolved into those
glitteringly beautiful smiles.  I can't remember the last time I saw /any/
band have that much fun on stage.

> -----------------------
> JUNE
> MY LOVE IS A FEVER
> LAST NIGHT
> -----------------------
> BOTHERED

I was really, really hoping for "Rhapsodie".  sigh...

My, but post-show dinner-and-drinks were fun (once we got there!).  I wasn't
very talkative, I'll admit.  The weekend was starting to catch up with me...

No, I'm not going to mention everybody.  It's been done already, and
besides, I would miss people completely by accident and I don't want anyone
to feel bad. :)  Besides, I've been working at this for the better part
of an hour, and usually my e-mail has crashed twice by now.  I'm starting
to get a bit nervous.

I love you all, dears.  You make the world brighter and more beautiful
with your hugs and smiles and tears and many kindnesses.

Raven-amy