Calvin Show 12/10

Friends,
It's been hard to hear you all talk about the Taft show. I started kicking
myself during the Calvin show on Friday night. I should have known better. I
was hoping that the shows would be similar enough. However, I know there's
no place like an over the rhine show at home. I can already tell from your
posts that I missed it.
Was anyone else at the Calvin show? If so, what was your take?
After having seen the band perform twice last month, I found myself crossing
my fingers that the December shows would be a bit different. I was not
disappointed on Friday night. If anyone would like to compare notes, let me
just tell you all a little bit about the Calvin show. (I'm very interested
to see a set list from the Taft show.)
The highlights for me were when Terri pulled out the violin on And Can It
Ever Be. Why doesn't she do that more often?
Then this interested me greatly. Karin and Linford were out there alone and
Karin started singing this little song...something about a "little girl
blue." She then when directly into the intro. to Falling (Death of a Tree)
and back into the other song. I can't remember much more. The song ended
with her asking where "little boy blue" was. HELP!!! Has anyone ever heard
them sing this? Did they play this at the Taft show? I was so moved by it
all.
The band pulled two encores (easily) out of the crowd. They played Last
Night as the finale encore. It sounds like they played a lot of the same set
as Saturday night. They played Jacksie, June, My Love Is A Fever,
Poughkeepsie, as well as Mary's Waltz, Thank you My Angel, Silent Night, It
Came Upon A Midnight Clear.  Surprisingly (to me), they didn't play any
"newer" stuff. No Moth, Anyway or Goodbye.
And finally, I'll bet a dollar that they didn't play Amelia's Last at the
Taft show. Am I right? I say this because on Friday night Linford, Karin and
Terri tried to play it after having not performed or practicing it in over
two years. They failed miserably after only 30 seconds into it. It was quite
an entertaining five minutes or so while they tried in front of the some
1,200 of us to figure it out. Linford kept saying, "Maybe it's time to move
on" while Karin tried helplessly to remember the song. Karin commented later
during the encore that she now had her first ever embarrassing moment story
and that we were all a part of it. :D
The only other question I have is this: Did anyone end up bringing the oars
to the show?? Just curious.
I'm planning to be at the Ark show this Sunday. Hope to see some of you
there.
Oh, one other thing: while my verdict on Don Heffington isn't out yet, all I
have to say is that he certainly is the anti-Brian. As for a style watch:
Everyone looked great on Friday night. Jack was just plain Jack. Dave was
sporting that black cap again. I couldn't see Jeff much. I thought Don
looked kind of scary in that hat. I can't remember much about Linford. Terri
was in all black. And Karin was wearing this purple velvet sheath/overcoat
type thing over a shimmering sphagetti-straped dress. They all looked very,
very nice. :D
That's my ten cents.
Sarah