Re: Calvin Show 12/10

> Was anyone else at the Calvin show?

Yup.

> If so, what was your take?

I'm not sure.  I like Linford playing the school's Bosendorfer.  i've
heard may a recital that has sounded much much worse on that piano.  I'm
not sure about his or Karin's hair.  I haven't seen the band since this
past summer so that's normal.  I was surprised by the amount of
attendence.  The last couple of times, we had a hard time filling the
1,200 capacity theater, but we didn't have an a all.  I work for the
Student Activities Board, and we were very happy with the turnout although
they were late to their sound check due to their interview that
morning.
	About the concert itself, I was very happy.  I liked a couple of
the new turns that they took with their old songs.  I like Jack which is
something that I never thought that I would do.  He went from a washedup
punk rocker look to a cool psuedo-hick type thing with the rolled up jeans
and everything.  Above all, I felt the guy from Cowboy Junkies, I keep
forgetting his name added a lot to OTR's sets.  he has a method of playing
the mandolin and the harmonica that drive right for the soul.  i have the
set list on my desk somewhere, ut I can't find it right now.  I took my
girlfriend to her first OtR show, and she liked it a lot. That's a big
plus because otherwise it would have been out the window for her.  Not
really, but it would have been an issue.  My roommates went with me, and
they enjoyed it thoughly, but we did agree that it wasn't the same as the
Canal Street concert we went to last May.

> The highlights for me were when Terri pulled out the violin on And Can It
> Ever Be. Why doesn't she do that more often?

My girlfriend said the same thing.

> And finally, I'll bet a dollar that they didn't play Amelia's Last at the
> Taft show. Am I right? I say this because on Friday night Linford, Karin and
> Terri tried to play it after having not performed or practicing it in over
> two years. They failed miserably after only 30 seconds into it. It was quite
> an entertaining five minutes or so while they tried in front of the some
> 1,200 of us to figure it out. Linford kept saying, "Maybe it's time to move
> on" while Karin tried helplessly to remember the song. Karin commented later
> during the encore that she now had her first ever embarrassing moment story
> and that we were all a part of it. :D

it's nice to see human performers.  We get a lot of good show up here at
Calvin, but only a few exceptional ones.  OTR is counted on year after
year to bring a great concert.  unlike the time we decided to invite The
Wallflowers.

> was in all black. And Karin was wearing this purple velvet sheath/overcoat
> type thing over a shimmering sphagetti-straped dress. They all looked very,
> very nice. :D

One note on Karin.  She looked the best and most in her element that I
have ever seen her.  She has a shimmer of confidence that I can only link
to performers that I've seen like Joan Baez and Margo Timmins,
coincidence? I don't think so.

BTW, Calvin is having Joan Baez play in March.  if anyone is interested in
getting tickets let me know.

Steve