Official Press Release

OVER THE RHINE - PRESS RELEASE

HOLIDAY CONCERT IMMINENT/
OFFER OF NATIONAL RECORD DEAL ACCEPTED

DECEMBER 2, 1999

It has taken three years of hard work as an independent act, four
independent records, an international tour with Cowboy Junkies and a lot of
"Thanks, but no thanks" bargaining along the way, but once again, Karin
Bergquist and Linford Detweiler of Over The Rhine have come to terms with a
major label, and will be signing a national record deal.  Virgin Records,
home of Peter Gabriel, Lenny Kravitz, The Rolling Stones and the Spice Girls
among others, are bringing Over The Rhine into their fold of acts, and will
begin releasing the band's material in the year 2000.

Virgin is in the process of starting a new "imprint", a smaller division
under the umbrella of the larger company called "Backporch".  David Lowrey
of "Cracker" and "Over The Rhine" are the new division's first signings.  So
what did it take to convince Over The Rhine's songwriting team - a
partnership that was very prepared to enter the new millenium with a
simmering underground operation that seems to steadily expand the group's
following - to sign on?

Virgin began by dispatching John Wooler to Cincinnati, the A&R man who has
in recent years nurtured artists such as Van Morrison, John Lee Hooker and
Pops Staples.

"These were all artists with strong unapolegetic visions who didn't
necessarily fit the mainstream MTV mold," explains Karin Bergquist.  "We're
huge fans of just about everyone John has worked with and it took the
pressure off to hear someone say it's not always about a smash pop single,
it's also about being true to a vision come what may."

Virgin eventually offered Over The Rhine a deal that the band describes as
"exceptionally artist friendly":  total artistic freedom,  tour support,
recording budgets, advances and, oddly enough, thousands of actual copies of
each of the band's own future Virgin releases that Over The Rhine is free to
sell through their existing virtual vegetable stand and on tour.

Virgin agreed to pick up the story where the band's former label, IRS
Records, left off, and will release Good Dog Bad Dog nationally on January
26, 2000.  Over The Rhine will follow it later in the year with a collection
of new material, much of which is already recorded.
Virgin also agreed to put the the three IRS Releases, Till We Have Faces,
Patience and Eve back into circulation, and to substantially increase the
royalty rate payable to the band that IRS had initially negotiated. Over The
Rhine tracks will be included on at least two compilations in the year 2000
featuring more established artists such as Peter Gabriel.

"They've tried very hard to structure a deal that doesn't interrupt what we
have already established," says Detweiler.  "We're going to roll the dice
and see what happens.  It's been fun to see this come together.  It feels
pretty good."

But before Over The Rhine dives headlong into the unknown new year, it's
time for a celebration of the journey thus far:  the many miles covered, the
encouragement of the many who have made friends with these simple songs, the
joy and heartbreak that comes from sinking your teeth into any dream.  Over
The Rhine promises a hometown concert at the Taft Theater in Cincinnati on
December 11, 1999 that wings its way full circle through seven records and
ten years of loss and redemption.  The band will include their own singular
haunting renditions of traditional seasonal  material.  The band will play
as if it's their last night on earth.  (Again.)

Last year Over The Rhine cancelled their December tour to record demos.
This year, the band will play four concerts as a seven piece:

Karin Bergquist:  Vocals and Acoustic Guitar (Norwood, Ohio)
Linford Detweiler:  Piano and Hammond Organ (Norwood, Ohio)
David LaBruyere:  Bass (Atlanta, Georgia)
Jack Henderson:  Electric Guitar (London, England)
Jeff Bird:  Harmonica, Mandolin, Melodica, et cetera (Guelph, Ontario)
Terri Templeton:  Backing vocals and Violin (Northside, Ohio)
Don Heffington:  Drum Kit (Los Angeles, California)

Jeff Bird is the multi-instrumentalist with the Cowboy Junkies.  Don
Heffington has played with Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris and Victoria Williams.

Leo Kottke, acoustic guitar instrumentalist extraordinaire, met Karin and
Linford this summer touring with the Cowboy Junkies.  Linford describes him
as an important writer trapped in a guitar vitruoso's body.  Leo's weathered
wit and rootsy mind-bending instrumentals are a perfect start to this
long-awaited evening, that many consider a Cincinnati tradition.  Come
celebrate ten years with Over The Rhine.

Winter Tour 1999 updates and show information

Dec 10  Calvin College Grand Rapids MI  616-957-6282
        Or tickets at calvin_edu.  Special guest Claire Holloy
        Show 8pm at the Fine Arts Center
        Tix $10 advance/$12 DOS

DIRECTIONS TO CALVIN COLLEGE

From I-96 west...take the 28th Street West exit. Follow 28th Street west
until the East Beltline (just after Eastbrook Mall). Take a right on the East
Beltline and follow it north until you see signs for Calvin.

From I-196 east...take the exit for the East Beltline and follow the Beltline
south until you see signs for Calvin.

From 131 north...take the Burton St. exit. Take a right on to Burton and
follow Burton until you reach Calvin, which is on your left after less than 5
miles.

Dec 11  Taft Theater Cincinnati OH
        Special guest, Leo Kottke
        Tickets via Ticketmaster and Taft Box Office
        513-721-8883  $15 advance/$17 DOS
        www.taftevents.com/ for directions/FAQ

Dec 18  Schubas Chicago IL
        7pm (All Ages) & 10pm (21+)
        $10 advance / $12 door
        on sale at www.schubas.com

Dec 19  Ark Ann Arbor MI
        Doors 7:30pm  Show 8pm
        $10 advance/$12 DOS at door or Ticketmaster
        www.a2ark.org for directions

If you have any questions, please make sure that you are replying to
OTRhine at aol_com and not owner-over-the-rhine at actwin_com - they can't help you
with OTR questions.  THANKS!!!