Re: Monk & Galactic Cowboys...

D'oh!  I forgot to reply to the entire message...

>I think I will seriously have to consider going to the beforementioned
>Christmas Rocknight. Anybody been there before? Can you recommend it?

GC and Monk on the same stage... If it's not too far away from where you
are, I'd highly recommend it.

>Dan, I know Galactic Cowboys only from their contribution to the Petra
>tribute "Never say Dinosaur". What can I expect from them?

GC's sound is sorta different than the PeTrib, overall (that song just
shows one side of their sound)... GC is sort of along the lines of a King's
X-type band, but maybe more rocky/less soulful.  They're also from Houston,
Texas; and they have the whole King's X, Kemper Crabb, Atomic Opera,
Caedmon's Call connection.  Derek from Caedmon's actually went to junior
high with Wally from GC.  (I wore a GC shirt one time to a Caedmon's
concert- it struck up multiple conversations with Caedmon's band members...)

Anyway, GC- they're chunky, but very melodic.  I think someone one stated
that they're like Metallica meets the Partridge Family.

GC's first two albums were more along melodic-prog-metal (s/t and "Space in
Your Face").  Those two are available on Geffen.  Their latest work with
their new guitarist Wally Farkas are more like a hard modern rock, with
great melodies ("Machine Fish," "The Horse that Bud Bought" and "At the End
of the Day").  Those albums are available on an indie label, Metal Blade.
Don't let the label scare you, though- they're not really a metal band.  At
least, *I* wouldn't consider them "metal."

My top two by them are their newest _At the End of the Day_ (1998) and
their second _Space in Your Face_ (1993).

If you want more info, check out my webpage of theirs... I haven't updated
it in a while.  Not much news, except for the German Rocknight... they are
working on a new album, but I haven't called Wally in ages... I've got some
wav files on the site... plus lyrics, tab, yadda yadda...

Dan

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
   dantemm at erinet_com      http://www.dlm.net/gc/
+- Life is so much cleaner on the page (chromakey)-+