Re: Can we talk?

>Fight Club.  Discuss.
Very good movie.  I'd say it's one of the better depictions of our (30ish)
generation that's come along in a while; albeit quite fantastic and over-
the-top.  It smacks you across the face with the message as if you were
at one of the fight clubs yourself.  A terrific commentary on our consumer
driven world and how it's robbed us of our individuality.  I was also impressed
at how well they followed the book.  It only seriously detracted from the
book at the end with a more hopeful ending for the film.  Oh well, such is
Hollywood.  I'd suggest this one strongly.  I'd advise that you listen closely
to the dialogue.  Some of it gets muddled in the mix and if you watch the film
with a sit-com level of effort, you may miss some ot the better quick points
made in the film.

>American Beauty.  Discuss.
I'll see it this week.  My girlfriend thought she wanted to see it so I've been
waiting, but she's probably not interested.  I think maybe tomorrow after I
beat my speeding ticket in traffic court........

>Three Kings.  Discuss.
I liked it better than I thought I would.  I thought the casting was great.  I
didn't
particulary care for the dumb guy (I forget his name), but it didn't really
detract
from my enjoyment.  It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about the
Gulf War, but the views and ideas it did present were done well, I thought.  It
seems
to have gotten more than it's share of 'movie of the year' reviews.  I wouldn't
rate it quite that highly, but if you called it 'WAR movie of the year', I
wouldn't
argue.

>How've you been?
Quite good, thanks.

>What's been on your mind?
Just thinking  how pleased I am that the FIA overturned Ferrari's
disqualification
at Malaysia.  Irvine's now poised to bring the title to Ireland for the first
time I can
think of, as well as back to Maranello for the first time since Jody Scheckter
won
the F1 title in 1979.  Prost couldn't do it, Mansell couldn't do it, Schumacher
couldn't
do it (yet); Eddie's the man!
Most of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but that honestly is
what's on my mind today.

A little on Brad Pitt.  I'd give him more favorable reviews than not in his
career
so far.  In the films of his I've seen he's been at least adequate in his roles.
12
Monkeys and Fight Club are his most enteraining films so far.  For myself, at
least.
The roles are fairly similar and the 12 Monkeys character is disturbingly
remeniscient of a guy I see around here from time to time.  Crazy Tim comes
around to some of my local hangouts, corners someone at the bar and begins
ranting and spewing free-association dialogue on any topic (or any number of
topics)
he can think of.  I haven't heard him say anything about global viruses, but I
figure it's only a matter of time.

I'd consider Kevin Spacey to be the finest American actor we have today.  I
thought
it was a travesty he wasn't nominated and awarded the Best Actor Oscar for  The
Usual Suspects instead of just the Best Supporting Actor.  Oh well, at least he
won
something for that role.  IFC's been showing another film of his, Swiimming With
Sharks, for the last week or so.  This is one I'd suggest fans of his find and
rent if
they haven't yet.  Deliciously evil and hilarious as a ruthless, relentless and
amoral
Hollywood agent.

later,
AaronB