Silent Movies

OK, here is a movie I have been trying to track down and maybe some of
you can help me.  Late one night, on a local public tv station I watched
an excellent silent horror movie.  I don't think it was Nosferatu.
There was a creepy old man character and a young woman sick in bed and
the main character seemed to be a young man.  The most impressionable
part of the movie was when the young man apparently died and was being
carried out in a coffin with a glass window over his face.  The scene
was alternatly showing his face through the window (with his eyes wide
open) and then the tops of the trees- what he would be seeing as they
were carrying him out.  For some reason the movie (especially that
scene) was very disturbing to me.  I can't remember if the movie was
actually silent or if it was in German with subtitles.  Anyway, I had no
luck looking for it's listing in the tv guide that night and
unfortunatly I can't relate a better description of the plot.  So, if
any of this sounds familiar to anyone, let me know.

Katie