Re: [Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V2 #804]

Kelvin T Bailey <kelvinbailey at juno_com> wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 01:15:46 GMT chris.emery at ecoutlook_com (Chris Emery)
writes:
>I don't think you can assume there's only *one* truth.
>
>Everyone's looking for *a* truth - the truth that is true for them.
>

>>Boy oh boy, didn't we just open up a can of worms.  That kind of thinking
just won't hold water.  It's what we here call a self-defeatig absurdity.
 There is indeed truth, and truth is objective, constant, and universal.
It doesn't come from the human mind, individual or objective, but exists
before and outside of us.  Finally, it doesn't cease to be truth just
because some very educated people coose to play games with it and doubt
its existence.  Example - Suppose you believe in gravity and I don't.  If
we both climbed our way up and then jumped off the top of the Empire
State Building, said gravity would act on me just as much as it does on
you, despite what I may or may not believe about it.

Sorry, but I have a problem with this logic--if you start accepting some
scientific principals as truth, then where do you stop??  I just can't believe
that someone can mix religion and science since they both refute each other--I
had a next door neighbor who did this and he and I used to have incredible
debates.  It's just that they are both a form of "faith" in a way--the only
difference is that science is supposedly more technical and therefore true.  I
am not saying which way I believe--but I've never seen an atom and I've never
seen god--so which ever one I chose to believe--I guess it's still a matter of
faith.

Besides--whose to say that the hand of god didn't come out of the sky and push
the two smartasses that questioned him anyway--isn't that the way the Old
Testament god would have handled it??

as an anthropology minor--I have seen some amazingly difficult to refute
evidence--and that is all I will say for risk of flaming

peace

--dana--