Re: More thoughts on OtR...

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:55:53 -0400 paragin.1 at osu_edu writes:

>In listening to it again I think GDBD is a very good CD.  However, I
>feel
>the songs on GDBD don't benefit from a live environment in the same
>way the
>older material did.  Especially given the lack of drums at the most
>recent
>show.  Live, the tunes on GDBD sound very similar to the recorded
>music.  Makes for a great evening at home, but a lackluster concert.

Man, I'm gonna hafta step up and totally disagree here.  The first time I
heard the GDBD songs live was at Cornerstone 97 (the evening show).  I
was at the festival with some friends who were more into the speakers and
some of the more mainstream bands, so I walked up to the show by myself.
I stood in the back for a bit, watching the Crossing, totally amazed at
the music and the crowd.  As OTR was preparing to come on, I
self-consciously wiggled my way to a seat in the middle of the tent.  At
this point I had just bought GDBD and hadn't become very familiar with it
yet.I had no expectations for the show, which is always a good thing.
Then it happened.  I won't try to describe "it" but will say that it was
truly the most riveting, moving, remarkably musical evening of live music
I had experienced up to that point.  I don't typically enjoy shows by
bands I've never heard, but I was convinced that even if I had walked
into that tent totally ignorant of who or what Over the Rhine was, I
would have been equally mesmerized.  The band...Karin's voice that seems
to selfishly grab your attention like a four year old who, with her
little hands, forces your face to look at hers...Terri - beautiful,
swaying Terri...the band...the cello (Matt Slocum)...the silent
crowd...the beautiful Midwestern evening...the band.  For me, GDBD didn't
"benifit" from an environment; it was the environment - beautiful,
serene, and totally unforgettable.

Just a thought

Kelvin

NP:  Still Bebo - Ten Thousand Days