Re: Neil Finn/Crowded House

>Sarah writes:
>
>> I have to agree with Kyle on this one.  I don't think any slang
>>  phrase referring to race should be used in a polite social setting.
>>  Even though a name might not be associated with bigotry, it still
>>  produces a barrier between various races...Although I don't think it
>>  is wrong for you to refer to the fact that you like music by people
>>  from a certain area, I don't feel any race should be lumped into any
>>  sort of slang word...I am not trying to argue, just want to put in my
>>  little opinion...Sarah
>
>Okay, here's my final thoughts on this subject:  I guess I just see a
>difference between slang terms thrust upon a group that are offensive and
>insulting, and slang that a people take upon themselves as part of their
>national pride.  I've never known an African-American to not be offended
and
>insulted by the "N" word, however I've also never known anyone from New
>Zealand to be offended in the least by being called a Kiwi.  As far as I
can
>see, it's only in the former case, and not the latter, that the use of such
>term is likely to erect the sort of barrier that you referred to above.  If
>you're not comfortable using a term like "Kiwi", then by all means, don't
use
>it.  At the same time though, don't assume that those of us who don't share
>your discomfort are being hateful.
>
>Steve
>oncleboo at aol_com

I'd have to go along with Steve here, only because I have several
Australian/New Zealander acquaintances, and the *only ever* time any one of
them ever got offended over the term "Kiwi" was because I said I had eaten
one, and I was roundly cussed out for not appending the word "fruit" to the
end of the phrase. KIWI FRUIT. KIWI FRUIT. I will never make that mistake
again.

As it stands, I have been encouraged to call NZ'ers Kiwis, since it's better
than calling them Australians. While it may not necessarily be an insult to
call them that, it's at best inaccurate. :)

In fact, back when I was managing a cafe, I served a bunch of NZ'ers, and
was able to identify them as such, instead of assuming they were simply
Australian.

And while I respect everyone's well-put thoughts on racism, etc., whatever
the hell is wrong with having a sense of identity? hm?

50% Polish (and yet, not a Polack   ;) ),
Krystyn
http://eggplant.simplenet.com