Re: Neil Finn/Crowded House

Sarah writes:

> I have to agree with Kyle on this one.  I don't think any slang
>  phrase referring to race should be used in a polite social setting.
>  Even though a name might not be associated with bigotry, it still
>  produces a barrier between various races...Although I don't think it
>  is wrong for you to refer to the fact that you like music by people
>  from a certain area, I don't feel any race should be lumped into any
>  sort of slang word...I am not trying to argue, just want to put in my
>  little opinion...Sarah

Okay, here's my final thoughts on this subject:  I guess I just see a
difference between slang terms thrust upon a group that are offensive and
insulting, and slang that a people take upon themselves as part of their
national pride.  I've never known an African-American to not be offended and
insulted by the "N" word, however I've also never known anyone from New
Zealand to be offended in the least by being called a Kiwi.  As far as I can
see, it's only in the former case, and not the latter, that the use of such a
term is likely to erect the sort of barrier that you referred to above.  If
you're not comfortable using a term like "Kiwi", then by all means, don't use
it.  At the same time though, don't assume that those of us who don't share
your discomfort are being hateful.

Steve
oncleboo at aol_com

np:  Dave Alvin - "Blackjack David"

"Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it
shall be when we know more." - William Blake