Who quoted this?

Okay-
I am curious as to whether or not many people here know much about a
certain musician that i love....Here is a quote by him (hint here)
from an interview...This quote is available as an extra track on one
of his cd's...He is dead now, has been for about 25-30 years i
think...(dont quote me)...Can anyone name him?

"If you dig it, do it...And if you really dig it, do it twice"

Sarah

ps-Yes, I am easily amused, but it is better than being amusingly
easy.