They're 'Bout It

All right, so I'm talking to a friend of mine
on the phone last night, and I'm trying to convince
him that he needs to get online and immediately
buy as much OtR stuff as he can find.  I described
their music, Karin's voice, etc., and his response
was: "Yeah, but what are they *about*?"

The question struck me as a good one. I mumbled
something about love songs and Americana, and finally
said, "Let me see what the listees have to say about
that..."

So, how about it?  What is Over the Rhine about?  So
many bands seem to have a focus, be it love songs or
philosophy or religion or anarchy or whatever, but
OtR seems to have seeds of all of this in their music.
I can't think of any "theme" albums (except possibly
DNotY, which is a bit of a stretch) or records that
push any particular ideal.

Anyway, I'm rambling at this point, but what are
your thoughts?

Paul Christian Glenn      |  "Besides being complicated,
trance at radiks_net         |  reality, in my experience,
http://x-real.firinn.org  |  is usually odd."  -C.S. Lewis

Currently Reading: "The Air-Conditioned Nightmare" by Henry Miller