Re: Steve Earle

Gabe writes:

> Steve says:
>    I lean more towards the likes of Dave Alvin, Gillian Welch,
>  Lucinda Williams, Iris DeMent, and Buddy Miller.  Of course, a nice dose
of
>  Hank Williams, Sr. never hurts either.  :)
>  -----
>
>  It looks like your leaning toward the proverbial "dark side of the force"
if
>  you know what I mean.  Your taste looks like a 'who's who' of "Goth
>  Country". I lean more toward the light side of the genre. Maybe I just need
>  to gain a few more years of musical maturity to fully understand Lucinda. I
>  think we can all agree on the classics though, Hank, Woody Guthrie etc.
>
>  -Gabe

I don't know that I'd go quite so far as to call it "Goth Country".
Personally, I don't see the likes of DeMent, Miller, or even Williams, as
being all that dark.  If you're gonna talk Goth Country, I'd look more at the
likes of Sixteen Horsepower, but since Jay seems to be the list expert on
that particular band, I'll defer to him on that.

As far as Lucinda goes, I'm not as big a fan of her most recent album as
everyone else seems to be.  I first ran across her when she was opening for
the Cowboy Junkies some 10 years ago.  The Junkies were enjoyable, but I
thought she stole the show.  I've been partial to her music of that era ever
since.  She's definitely worth developing a taste for, IMHO.

Steve
oncleboo at aol_com

np:  The Innocence Mission - "Umbrella"

"Talking nonsense is man's only privilege that distinguishes him from all
other organisms." -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky