Re: Independence day(or my FBI file)

Given the current political topics being posted, I'm surprised that more
attention hasn't been paid to DM's most recent post.
	Granted I'm no great political activisit,  I don't know a hell of
alot about the presidential candidates (yet), so I really can't enter
into that conversation, but alot of the things that DM commented on
really made me sit up and take notice.
	1. The amendment to ban flag burning.

Initially, I had no opinion on this subject, but the more I thought about
it, I began to think, "why wouldn'd we be allowed to?" Who does it hurt?
Does burning a piece of cloth really threaten our national government?
	Yes, I know that it leads to political unrest.... no, wait that's
not right.  Flag burning RESULTS from political unrest.  The unrest is
there with or with out flag burning.  THe burning is merely a PEACEFUL
demonstration of that unrest.
	Please don't make the argument that people have fought and died
for that flag.  No one has fought and died for a piece of cloth.  The
fought and died for what it represented.  That flag is only a symbol.
Many people who burn the flag believe that that is the most patriotic
thing that they can do. They are effectively saying that government has
nullified thosethose freedoms that they flag once represented.
	Sometimes I think that the people who burn flags for these
reasons are among the most patriotic among us.
	No, I, personally, don't burn flags.  I hold on to the hope that
our government is improving, that because it was founded on moral
principles, in the end it can't completely destroy that foundation
without collapsing.

	2. Prayer in school
I am a devout Catholic, however for me to impose that faith on anyone
else would harken back to the crusades, or the Spanish inquisition.
	I think think that a good viable alternative to prayer in school
would be to make a "quiet time"  set aside for the children to think,
reflect, contemplate, or pray.
	If one wants thier child to have outloud group prayer, send them
to a christian school.  Regardless of financial situation,  many church
oriented schools make it possible for financially under privledged
children to attend a cristian school.  (Not to mention the current
voucher system).  And if one still does not consider this an option, send
your child to one of the many free after school church programs.
	3. Censorship
Given the new V-chip, in 10 to 15 years (when all the old TVs have
died)there will be no reason television censorship, on ratings systems.
That way a parent can program in that nothing PG-13 or over can be
watched without password. Until then, I think that the current television
system is a good one, with grotuitious sex and violence restricted to
later hours, or special pay per view channels.  Because, no matter how
good of a parent one is, one can't moniter every small thing that your
child watches.   The current system helps with that *until V-chips are
standard in every home*.
	As far as radios go, I think the current system is good.

Internet, however, I think should be relatively free of censorship. If a
parent is allowing their child to puruse the internet, they should be
keeping a sharp eye on what pops up on that screen.  Also there are many,
many, many child friendly programs out there to allow your child to roam
the internet with out stumbling on to something that you don't want them
exposed to.

	4. E-Taxation
Ahhhhhh!  Being a poor student, if was to go through, I would no longer
be able to talk with you lovely people.  I just simplely couldn't afford
it.  Now if the government wants to put a small tax on top of what you
already pay an internet sevice provider, I would have no problem with
that.  But people like me who use free service providers, shouldn't have
to pay a tax on a free service.  Also, attaching a postage stamp like fee
to e-mails is ridiculous. Again, If they want to attach a small tax to
what one already pays an e-mail provider, fine, but there should be no
taxes on free services (like Juno).

	5. Foriegn Steel Quotas
I can't add anything to what DM said, I agree with him completely on this
one.  My Daddy was a steel worker, but then they moved his job overseas.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was my rant.

jen
I am no mermaid,
and I am no fisherman's slave,
I am no mermaid,
I keep my head above the waves.
                           -sinead lohan

Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use --
Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web!
Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh.