Re: This is revolting

In a message dated 7/6/99 10:56:49 AM, davec at pads_com writes:

<< I realize typos are common and not always avoidable (I know it's easy to
type 'teh' and not notice you did it), but grammar and usage errors show
a lack of intelligence, as far as I'm concerned  >>

I guess the phrase lack of intelligence should be scrutinized.  You should
take better care in your analysis of the problem :-) Actually for the most
part it's not lack of intelligence, but the speed of typing and a lax
attitude towards proofreading. Extremely intelligent people are not always
great spellers, or good with grammer. Thats not a good touchstone for making
the case of intelligence.
Sometimes,people speak in a stream of consciousness mode. There are many
reasons. As I said, if you understand it, whats the difference?

I disagree.
Nobody is being graded here and there is a great poetic and writing license
taken on the Internet. People are free to speak in broken thought,home made
sentence breaks, punctuation and the like. Most people seem to understand and
get along just well with it. I haven't seen the case where someone couldn't
respond in a clear understanding of what was being said. When that becomes
the case,then there is a problem. And in almost all cases, when I have seen
someone resort to the grading for punctuation and grammer,  it is because
they disagree and,
a)- Don't really have a clue how to address the issue
b) -Have been soundly beaten in their argument.
c) -Are keen spellers and grammatical tacticians, but lack any verifiable
substance.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think so. Your mileage may vary on this.