Re: This is revolting

Otherone at aol_com wrote:

> I guess the phrase lack of intelligence should be scrutinized.  You should
> take better care in your analysis of the problem :-) Actually for the most
> part it's not lack of intelligence, but the speed of typing and a lax
> attitude towards proofreading. Extremely intelligent people are not always
> great spellers, or good with grammer. Thats not a good touchstone for making
> the case of intelligence.
> Sometimes,people speak in a stream of consciousness mode. There are many
> reasons. As I said, if you understand it, whats the difference?

To take your argument to its conclusion (or should that be "take you're
argument to it's conclusion..."), there is, therefore, no need for
newpapers, magazines, and book publishers to have editors and
proofreaders, as long as the reader can get the gist of the material.

> I disagree.
> Nobody is being graded here and there is a great poetic and writing license
> taken on the Internet.

I really don't think the term "poetic license" was intended to cover
spelling mistakes. Poetic license is usually an intended departure.

> People are free to speak in broken thought,home made
> sentence breaks, punctuation and the like. Most people seem to understand and
> get along just well with it. I haven't seen the case where someone couldn't
> respond in a clear understanding of what was being said. When that becomes
> the case,then there is a problem. And in almost all cases, when I have seen
> someone resort to the grading for punctuation and grammer,  it is because
> they disagree and,
> a)- Don't really have a clue how to address the issue
> b) -Have been soundly beaten in their argument.
> c) -Are keen spellers and grammatical tacticians, but lack any verifiable
> substance.

I understand your points about "stream of consciousness mode" etc.
However, I just wish people would take that extra couple of seconds to
read over something before they send it. Again, that "backspace" key
isn't far away. There aren't many other aspects of our society which you
can get away with so many errors without consequence (except politics,
which, I believe, brings this topice full circle :) )

dave