Re: Cincinnati here I come

Jaharnish2 at aol_com wrote:

> Lisa wants to know where to live in Cinci... hrm...
>

> yay Clifton! i lived there for five years - first Lowell, and
> then Emming Street. i loved it, there were *always* things
> to do, and my very favorite part of Cincinnati is the Ludlow
> strip. everything is so concentrated in that area, and every
> time i look around at my Planet Livonia here, i sigh from
> utter boredom.

Yeah, I'll have to agree there, it is about one of the most interesting places
in Cincy, Lot of night traffic, Great Thai restuarant, Esquire theatre. They
have a new restaurant there that looks pretty interesting called shaky pudding.
If I hadn't of eaten before heading off to the esquire I would have stopped
there. Occasionally somebody beating a drum or playing some other instument on
the street.

> however, Lisa - there are some drawbacks to residence in
> Clifton! the very nature of it is college-driven, and the
> occasional late night of non-cerebral drunken frat kids (grrrr!)
> hollering in the summer streets left me bloodthirsty. it's not
> *that* bad or frequent, just enough to jump my threshold bar
> of annoyance.

Another thing to consider in clifton is the Crime Rate. Apparently there is
enough going on around shortvine that there are cops everywhere. When I stayed
in clifton on Ohio, I had alot of stuff stolen out of my room, but then there
was alot of anonymous foot traffic in the house to begin with. CD's, phones,
studio microphone and guitar etc.

Around the Gaslight district it's a little more expensive but none the less
safer.

> other areas to note off-hand:
> Western Hills - it's ok, cleaner than some areas, cleaner than
> Price Hill, wealthier than Price Hill. home of my *long* ago
> employer, Circle CD's.

Back in the Day if Wizard's did'nt have it  Circle CD's would

> this is (IIRC) predominantly a germanish area of middle-agers
> who spend half their lives squeezing pennies with shaky fingers.
> residency drawback: boring. VERY boring.

Boring but a decent place to raise younguns especially if your Catholic.

> Price Hill - it's alright, i lived there for awhile... some disturbing
> pictures i recall: two to five year olds playing in the street with
> no shoes on or parental supervision in the cold snow of winter,
> marky-mark/'nilla ice lookalikes around every corner. not too
> dangerous or anything, just, oooohh.... you get the pic.

It's gotten alot better but there use to be a time when occasionaly gunfire
could be heard in the distance. Can't forget about the occasionaly bottle fight
as well. The Further up the Hill you go (further west), the better off you are.
It's as close to downtown as Clifton is.

> Northside - it's above Clifton. it's home to the Comet bar and the
> former Blue Jordan coffeehouse. housing should still be cheap,
> but it was on a steady increase when i was down there. the
> forecast sez that this will be a great area to live in awhile from
> now. conclusion - it's ok.

There are surprisingly more and more professionals living in the northside. It
use to have a scary rep at one time but is getting surprisingly better with age.

Pluses, Your about 10 minutes away from downtown, 10 minutes away from blue ash.
Come to think of it you are within 10 minutes of just about anything in Cincy.

> Over the Rhine - the people here are not shy.

Seriously, Over-the Rhine is not a bad place to live, especially if you are
a. a starving musician.
b. a crack addict.
c. a starving musician on crack.
d. road crew to said musician.

Covedale, and Delhi are other places not mentioned so far. They suffer from the
same drawback as Western Hills and are in fact really close to Western Hills.
Delhi however is outside of the City limits which means you don't have to pay
city taxes, but If I'm not mistaken you will have to pay for garbage removal.
These two are within 10 minutes from dowtown, 12 minutes from clifton.